Continued calls for change to Bishop’s sexual assault policies

By Geoff Agombar
Local Journalism Initiative

A week in, voices continue to multiply demanding action at Bishop’s University. Attention continues to galvanise since a message decrying inaction on sexual assault reports was plastered along a concrete divider near a main entrance to campus. Students are calling for accelerated, concrete change. The administration continues to express sincere engagement in the face of complex challenges.

“There’s been a rallying of voices,” according to Student Representative Council (SRC) President Enzo Evangelisti. “For sure there’s a lot of frustration and anger and pain. You can feel that in the community every day just walking to campus, this want for change and a campus that is safer for all students.”

“The SRC is committed. The student body is committed. From the townhall, I think [Dean of Student Affairs Stine Linden-Andersen] is committed. I think the university is committed,” by Evangelisti’s assessment. “But obviously actions will speak louder than words.”

Tuesday, Linden-Andersen hosted a two and a half hour townhall meeting, attended by an estimated 200 students and faculty in person and an additional 100 online via streaming video and chat.

“We have seen a tremendous outcry of support, of anger, of frustration, of questions from our student body,” says Linden-Andersen. “I think it says a lot about who we are here at Bishop’s. It’s not like we have a small group that reacts. We kind of react as a whole unit.”

This townhall was the third Linden-Andersen has hosted on this issue, but the first since last week’s message and intensified debate. A fourth has already been announced for Nov. 24 to pick up the in-person community conversation again after the annual Take Back the Night March scheduled for Nov. 18.
Subscribe to The Record for the full story and more.

Share this article
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments