Fire in Johnville apartment building

By Matthew McCully

A fire broke out around noon on Sunday in Johnville, destroying a former church presbytery from the 1920s that had been converted into a six-apartment building.
All the tenants of the six apartments were safely out of the building before the fire took hold. There were no major injuries reported. According to Sylvain Dusseault, head of fire protection services for the municipality of Cookshire Eaton, the fire station received the call at 12:12 p.m. on Sunday. Upon arrival, Dusseault said the fire was already well underway. “Flames were coming out of the soffits,” described Dusseault. The building was a total loss. Between 30-35 firefighters participated in the intervention, Dusseault said, mainly coming from Cookshire Eaton, with additional support from Compton and East Angus. It took around two hours from the initial call to get the fire under control, Dusseault said. Small pockets of fire and smoldering embers continued to burn for several hours after, Dusseault said. See full story in the Tuesday, Sept. 17 edition of The Record.

Share this article