Fire leaves dozens homeless in Lennoxville

By Emilie Hackett. Special to The Record

Over a dozen students found themselves homeless after a major blaze broke out in Lennoxville 3004 College Street on Friday, September 20, around 4 a.m. Nearly 30 firefighters were on the scene to help put out the fire. Miraculously, no one was hurt. The building housed a laundromat, Billy Lidstone Catering, and several apartments. The fire was finally put out late in the morning, and police officers were still around in the afternoon. Students returned to the building in the hopes of finding any belongings that did not go up in flames. “A friend of mine called me at 4:30 a.m. and told me that there was a fire at my business. I came as soon as I could and the entire building was already up in flames,” said Billy Lidstone. “Most of the fire was concentrated on the second floor and I think my equipment will be okay. It didn’t burn but there is some water damage from the fire extinguishing.” Lidstone believes the building should soon be taken down. “There’s really not much that can be salvaged. For now, the guys from the Ascot Masonic Lodge are going to let me use their kitchen for the catering orders I had this weekend. The St. George’s Anglican Church also offered to let me use their facilities,” he added. “We have a supportive community here and I’ll be back in business as usual next week. I’m just glad no one was hurt.” See full story in the Monday, Sept. 23 edition of The Record.

Share this article