Jerry’s will rise from the ashes

By Gordon Lambie

A fire at Pizzeria Jerry in Lennoxville late Monday was one of two in the city that evening that could have been much worse, according to Sherbrooke Fire Chief Stephane Simoneau.
The fire chief explained that the fire, which was called in by a cook at the restaurant around 10:30 p.m., began as a result of an effort to clean the stove. Although the fire was not obvious in the kitchen, he said, the suspicious cook wisely called 911 as a precaution.
“Using a thermal camera, the firefighters were able to see the fire developing in the wall,” Simoneau said, explaining that the quick discovery meant that the walls could be opened up and the fire extinguished fairly promptly.
“The damage was not so serious,” said Dionisios Chronopoulos, the owner of the restaurant, explaining that although there are some walls that will need to be reconstructed, the restaurant should be able to get back to business as usual soon. “We will be closed for maybe a week,” he said.
The other fire took place earlier in the evening in the industrial park on Longpre Street in Fleurimont and although the location led to a three-alarm response, Simoneau said that the damage was similarly minimal.
See full story in the Wednesday, April 22 edition of The Record.

Share this article