Major accident, minor injuries

Major accident, minor injuries
A French school service centre bus collided with an SUV on Route 143 in the morning of June 6 resulting in both vehicles rolling over with minor injuries to passengers (Photo : Eric Clark)

School bus and SUV collide on Highway 143

By William Crooks

Local Journalism Initiative

Early on the morning of June 6, a collision involving a school bus and an SUV resulted in multiple minor injuries, prompting a swift response from emergency services. The incident occurred around 7:30 a.m. on Highway 143.

Emergency response and scene details

“We received a call at 7:43 a.m. for assistance to paramedics for multiple patients following a car accident,” stated local firefighter Chief Dany Brus to The Record June 6. Upon arriving at the scene, paramedics and RCMP officers were already present.

“The RCMP was quick to respond because one of their officers was driving by and called for help,” added Brus.

According to initial reports provided by Sûreté du Québec (SQ) Spokesman Louis-Philippe Ruel, a car driven by a man in his 40s swerved into the lane of the oncoming school bus, causing both vehicles to spin out of control and roll over.

“The exact cause of why the car swerved is still under investigation,” confirmed Ruel, “there doesn’t seem to be any criminal activity involved.”

Minor injuries

The school bus, belonging to a local French school service centre, was carrying a dozen school children.

“The injuries were relatively minor, including bumps, bruises, and a broken finger,” reported off-duty border guard Eric Clark to The Record June 6. Clark stopped to help at the accident until firefighters arrived.

“The children were understandably shaken, but our teams did an excellent job comforting and reassuring them,” said Brus.

Clark said the driver of the SUV sustained more severe injuries but was coherent and standing when first responders arrived.

In the aftermath, local firefighters, paramedics, and police worked collaboratively to manage the situation. “It was a great example of teamwork among all three services,” remarked Brus.

The primary fire station handling the response was Station 3 (Ayer’s Cliff), with reinforcements from Station 1 in Stanstead.

Investigation and follow-up

Authorities are continuing to investigate the cause of the accident.

“We had officers at the scene taking pictures and measurements,” said Ruel. More information is expected to be released as the investigation progresses.

Despite the traumatic event, the children and adults involved were fortunate to escape with relatively minor injuries.

“Given the severity of the crash, we are relieved that there were no critical injuries,” said Ruel.

Subscribe to read more stories

Share this article