By Taylor McClure
Special to The Record
Sherbrooke has a long military history and its militia units played a key role in various battles against the Germans in the Second World War. Intrinsically connected with this military history are the two armouries that take center stage in the city; the Sherbrooke Hussars’ armoury on William Street and the Colonel-Gaëtan-Côté Armoury on Belvédère Street. Both hold significant heritage value in the region and after years of deterioration, people want to make sure that they are here to stay.
The William Street Armoury was originally built as the city’s new courthouse in 1839. In 1906, another courthouse was constructed and the city started to think about giving the 1839 building to one of its local regiments.
At the time, the 53rd Sherbrooke Battalion of Infantry, one of the city’s part-time militia units, was located in a wooden building at the corner of William and Montreal Street right beside the courthouse.